Recycling certain batteries keeps heavy metals out of landfills and our environment. Battery recycling also saves resources because recovered plastic and metals can be used to make new batteries. Common alkaline batteries are no longer considered hazardous. Please note which places listed will take any battery vs. rechargeable batteries only.
Accepts Various Battery Types
- BatteriesPlus, 2061 M-139, Benton Harbor. Phone: 269-925-7374. Accepts household non-rechargeable and rechargeable batteries.
- Green Earth Electronics Recycling: 4200 Niles Rd., St. Joseph, Phone: 269-326-2312. Accepts household and car batteries at their collection events.
- Household Hazardous Waste Collections: Household rechargeable and non-rechargeable, vehicle, boat, and mower batteries are accepted at the county sponsored collections.
- Jackie Taglia Recycling Center: 1160 Broad St., St. Joseph. Open 1st Saturday of the month 9:30 a.m. - 12 Noon and 3rd Wednesday of the month 5-6 p.m. Accepts household batteries only.
- Radio Shack:722 S. 11th St., Niles. Phone: 269-684-7368. Accepts rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries (not all Radio Shack stores accept the non-rechargeable batteries).
- Southeast Berrien County Landfill Recycle Station: 3200 Chamberlain Rd., Buchanan. Phone: 269-695-2500. Accepts household and automobile batteries.
Rechargeable Batteries Only
- Ace Hardware in St. Joseph and in Stevensville
- Call 2 Recycle offers programs to help businesses, schools, etc. recycle rechargeable batteries.
- Home Depot accepts rechargeable batteries from power tools. Check near the "Returns" area for a collection bin or ask a Store Associate.
- Lowe's Home Improvement in Benton Harbor and in Niles have a drop-off bin inside the front entrance.
- Pater True Value
- Radio Shack accepts household rechargeable batteries-NiCd, NiMH and Li-ion. The Niles store also takes non-rechargeable batteries.
- Taylor Rental accepts small rechargeable batteries up to cell phone size.
- ZBattery accepts NiCad, NimH, Sealed lead acid, Gel cell, AGM, Auto batteries, and Li-Ion (All rechargeable).
Many retailers of electronics accept rechargeable batteries. Many jewelers and pharmacies collect button batteries used in watches, hearing aids, etc. Inquire at individual stores.
Automobile Batteries Only
- A1 Auto Salvage
- Autozone Stores in St. Joseph, Benton Harbor, Berrien Springs, Dowagiac, and Niles accept car batteries.
- Baroda Tire Center in Baroda, Coloma, and Buchanan
- Benton Metal Recycling
- LH Auto Recycling
- Michiana Metal and Scrap
- O'Reilly Auto Parts
- Padnos - Benton Harbor
- Padnos - Buchanan
- Schafer's Auto Yard
- Square Deal Auto Salvage
Retailers selling Lead Acid Batteries (car battery-type) are required to accept at least the same amount of batteries sold. Contact auto part stores and other retailers directly.